Hypertension is one of the most common metabolic disorders prevalent in the world. In urban India an average of 20-40% of adults suffer from hypertension. Hypertension predisposes an individual to increased cardiovascular disease. Diet and lifestyle modifications have been proved to keep the blood pressure levels at a check.
There are a number of superfoods which prove to be of dietary benefit for hypertensive patients. One such superfood is flaxseeds.
A 2014 research published in the National Library of Medicine has shown that both systolic and diastolic pressure have shown a reduction with a regular intake of flaxseeds along with a healthy diet and lifestyle.
Let’s understand what makes flaxseeds a must have to keep your blood pressure levels under check:
- Flaxseeds are high in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Flaxseeds are a rich source of fibre.
- Richest source of lignans, a group of polyphenols which help to reduce cardiovascular risk.
- They are rich in potassium.
A daily intake of 5-8gm of freshly roasted flaxseeds prove to be beneficial for managing blood pressure.
In what way can we add flaxseeds to our diet:
- As salad topping, as seasoning for curd, buttermilk or raita.
- Adding raw flax seeds to roti dough.
- On the morning cereal bowl.
- As mouth freshener.
Tips to store Flaxseeds:
- Grind and store in the refrigerator to avoid oil from turning rancid. Consume within 2-4 months.
- Whole to be stored in an airtight container away from sunlight or heat. Consume within 5-6 months.
- Must be roasted freshly and consumed.
With all the benefits of flaxseeds listed, we recommend it as a must addition to the hypertensive diet along with a healthy lifestyle.
At HappleyFit, we help individuals with a personalized and simplified way to attain a healthy lifestyle, with overall health.
Disclaimer: The content provides generic information only, do consult qualified nutritionist and doctor for your medical condition.